Wave pattern where it shouldn't be

Hello, great work with the slicer. I’m really enjoying it.

I’m combining 2 wave patterns (one rotated) and a third one with no waves at all. Here an screenshot of the result.

Then in the spiral module, i realize that the lines that should be circles actually progressively take on a wave pattern. Here another screenshot.

Already tested with my printer and obtaining in the same print two different textures. One looks more what i want to achieve and another one not.
Desirable:

Not desirable:

Here the .3dm

Is it a bug or im doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Hi Ezequiel, welcome!

What you have here is a geometric implication of spiralizing waves.

Spiralization progressively pushes each point toward its relative on the next layer.
For the sake of simplicity, let’s visualize it on a straight line:

If you look at it in the XY plane, you can see that the straight line gradually morph into the wave as it is pushed toward the next layer:

Similarly - a wave will gradually loose its amplitude if the next layer is a circle, while two opposite waves will cancel each other at about 50% of the toolpath, like this:

Knowing this, there are a couple different routes you can take to work around the problem. You can either:

• Adjust your combine pattern in order to conceal the transition.
    For example, assuming 0 = wave and 1 = circle, then 0-0-1-1 or 0-0-0-1-1-1 could do the job.

• Print it out using Multi. This will preserve your original design, but it will force you to deal with the seam.

If you opt for the latter: different Print Logic will yield different results, while Seam Size Multiplier, Seam Flow Multiplier let you tune the movement / flow in the seam area.
Also, when creating the wave, Shift Seam Point can help you place the seam to the inside of your print.

Hope this helped!

Great explanation, thanks for your answer. Actually running some tests.

Is it posible to import curves made from rhino? I’ve already try it but the slicer didn’t run it

You are welcome!

Is it possible to import curves made from rhino? I’ve already try it but the slicer didn’t run it

Yes, this is possible using the importSlices module. It will pre-process your curves and make it compatible with the slicer modules (and all other modules too).

A few of thing to watch out for:

• There must be only one curve per layer
  • They must be closed curves
  • If curves are non-planar, make sure to toggle the non-planar switch

open curves will also be fully supported at some point next month.